Saturday, May 30, 2009

My Favorite FPS Computer Games

I know it has been a long time since I blogged about anything, and I know the following is even more off the beaten path from my normal subjects, but being a computer nerd who loves to play computer games, I thought I would post something along those lines.

When I first started gaming my favorite genre was real-time strategy games (RTS). Both the Command & Conquer and Red Alert series captivated me. Even though the genre continued to improve with some incredible games, such as Age of Empires 3, C&C 3, and Universe at War, I had played so much I think I was played out. Other than the occasional game that can pull me back in (Dawn of War, Company of Hereos), I think the sun has set for me and the RTS.

But the one genre that I never tire of is first-person shooters (FPS). I think I love the FPS because it is usually very easy to pick up, and you can always play even if you have a few minutes here and there. In the current state of my life I don't have the time to pour over a manual and invest hours in learning the intricacies of a game. Nor do I enjoy it when I haven't been able to play the game for a few days and have to relearn all the keystrokes and rules. With the FPS, if you've mastered WASD and the mouse, you're basically good to go.

But for me, the story is critical. An FPS without a deep story just isn't worth playing. It's like reading a book and being in it at the same time. (Notice I said "like", not "the same as". Nothing still beats a good book.)

With that being said, I thought I would list all the FPS's that I have played and completed. I've tried to list them in order of enjoyment:

  1. System Shock 2
  2. Half Life
  3. Deus Ex (any game that uses quotes from G.K. Chesterton has to be near the top!)
  4. Far Cry
  5. Tron 2.0
  6. Half Life 2 (and episodes 1 and 2)
  7. Bioshock
  8. Dark Messiah
  9. Jedi Academy
  10. Halo
  11. Max Payne (listed last because technically it is a third-person shooter, bt it was a blast.)

No comments: